- This event has passed.
Contributing geographic data through OpenStreetMap (OSM) (#maptimeDavis)
October 13, 2020 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
While traditional mapping agencies target mapping needs of big organizations, big cities and expert users, everyday needs of map data for citizens of the developing world, small organizations and non- profit sector remain unmet. This workshop introduces learners to the world of participatory and open mapping and shows how contributions through OSM can meet geographic data needs during humanitarian crises halfway across the world or by just making rural communities visible for everyday services.
- Understand participatory & open mapping
- Learn to contribute to crowd-sourced data repositories like OpenStreetMap
- Understand the impact of projects like OSM and how they can be used for humanitarian purposes
- Learn how to download OSM data to use in a GIS
This workshop is for beginners unfamiliar with OpenStreetMap.
Participants should plan to have the following for the workshop:
- A computer with an internet connection
- Computer mouse (optional, but recommended for digitizing)
- Install QGIS (optional)
Registration is recommended but not required. Please register here.
#maptimeDavis Workshops & Studio is brought to you by DataLab’s Spatial Sciences Research & Learning Cluster and members of the UC Davis spatial community.