- This event has passed.
DSI Workshop: Git
October 19, 2018 @ 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Introduction to Git for Version Control
**NOTE: If you are interested in a follow-up workshop focused on utilizing git (and GitHub) for team projects please email us with the subject “Interested in git workshop for teams.” In your email please also indicate whether you attended this Introductory workshop.**
Description: This hands-on workshop led by DSI’s Associate Director for the Humanities and Professor of English Dr. Carl Stahmer will cover the fundamentals of working with the Git versioning control system for both individual and team development. Topics covered will include installing Git locally, initiating a local Git repository, managing file versions, basic branching and merging, working with remote repositories, and resolving conflicts. The workshop is suitable for participants with little to no previous Git experience.
Prerequisites: All participants must bring a laptop on which they have administrative rights and are able to install software. It is helpful if you sign up in advance for a free GitHub account. Students can also request a GitHub student developer pack, which allows for unlimited free private repos: https://help.github.com/articles/applying-for-a-student-developer-pack/.
- Git Cheat Sheet
- Recommended Readings: Pro Git
- ASCI text editor recommendations for beginners
- Mac: barebones or Mac: sublimetext
- PC: Notepad++
- Command Line Essentials
- Common commands: pwd, cd
- Save -> Stage -> Commit.
- “Commit often, comment verbosely.”
- Common git commands
- Basics: git init, git clone, git add, git status, git log, git diff, git log
- Undoing changes: git reset, git revert HEAD
- Remote Repos: git fetch, git pull, git push
- Branches: git branch, git checkout, git merge